    SubjectRe: Git tree for old kernels from before the current tree

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Nicolas Pitre wrote:

    > What is missing is:
    >
    > - v0.02 sources

    I think this really is gone. 0.03 was such an improvement on 0.02 that I
    think what happened was that I literally removed 0.02 (hey, it wasn't
    historically interesting at the time!). It's not the first time people
    have wondered about it.

    0.03 was the first version where you could actually do things under Linux,
    and I think I could compile etc. I *think* it was released pretty close
    after 0.02, which made 0.02 appear even more flawed and a brown-paper-bag
    release.

    > - v0.10 announcement

    Hmm. That one would be interesting, since the reason for the 0.03->0.10
    jump was that I was getting so happy with how it was actually working for
    me (ie able to compile itself under itself). But I don't see it, and it's
    not on google in the comp.os.minix archives either, afaik.

    > - v0.96 sources

    Hmm. Odd. Might be another case of "0.96a was released as a
    brown-paper-bag fix for 0.96, and the latter hidden in shame".

    Stupid bugs only appear endearing in retrospect.

    > - v0.99.12 announcement

    Well, the 0.99.12 announcement is found by google.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.announce/browse_thread/thread/8a19289f68a4af35/fe433c9df4b382a5?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1#fe433c9df4b382a5

    In general, google groups (search by date and author, and make the group
    be something like *linux*) is good, I found the above on the first try.

    > - sources for v0.99.13{abcdefghij} (got k, don't know where the serie
    > ends) as well as announcements for all of them
    >
    > - all announcements for v0.99.14{a-z} except for pl14r
    >
    > - announcements for pl15c to pl15j, 1.0-pre1, and ALPHA-1.0.

    Many of those might not have merited announcements. At some point I was
    just making tar-balls a few days apart, to let people track it.

    > Otherwise the archive appears fairly complete with almost 3 years of
    > Linux development history captured in a 3MB pack file.

    Heh, nice. Those early versions are all smaller than the patch set we
    generate in a day these days :)

    Linus

      Last update: 2007-07-23 22:15    [W:2.081 / U:0.064 seconds]