SubjectRe: "build-id" changes break sparc64
Roland McGrath writes:

> It turns out the problem here is that some .o files wind up with their own
> .note.gnu.build-id sections. I got the makefile magic wrong, thinking that
> LDFLAGS_MODULE was a variable specifically for .ko links. It's also used
> in cmd_link_multi-m.

Alan Modra (binutils hacker) has said to me in the past that using
ld -r to combine the objects in each directory is bad; he would much
rather that we gave all the individual objects to the final link,
since that enables ld to do better optimizations on some targets. We
could actually do that quite easily by making the built-in.o files be
linker scripts listing the individual objects rather than creating
them with ld -r.

Paul.

  Last update: 2007-07-23 08:15    [W:0.073 / U:0.432 seconds]