SubjectRe: [patch 1/3] ps3: Disk Storage Driver
On Wed, Jul 18 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:15:40 +0200
> Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@sonycom.com> wrote:
>
> > From: Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@sonycom.com>
> >
> > Add a Disk Storage Driver for the PS3:
>
> Your patchset significantly hits powerpc, scsi and block. So who gets to
> merge this? Jens? James? Paul?
>
> Me, I guess ;)

I think Paul was going to take it, or at least Geert hinted as such.

> > +#define PS3DISK_MAX_DISKS 16
> > +#define PS3DISK_MINORS 16
> > +
> > +#define KERNEL_SECTOR_SIZE 512
>
> Sigh. We have at least ten separate definitions of SECTOR_SIZE< none of
> them in the right place. Cleanup opportunity for someone.

Indeed, it's universally 512 or << 9, just use that...

> > +#ifdef DEBUG
> > + unsigned int n = 0;
> > + struct bio *bio;
> > + rq_for_each_bio(bio, req)
> > + n++;
>
> I'm surprised that the block core doesn't have a helper to count the number
> of bios in a request.

What would be the point of such a helper? I've never seen a need for it.
Geert uses it as debug code here, but the fact is that the number of
bios in a request is a pretty pointless number. It doesn't tell you
anything. There's no 1:1 mapping between bios and segments (or anything
else for that matter), so the exercise is purely pointless.

--
Jens Axboe