SubjectRe: -mm breaks and merging maintainer git trees with mainline
Steve French wrote:
> What is the currently recommended procedure for merging a maintainer
> tree with mainline in order to reorder all of the fixes in the
> maintainer tree, after the changes in the linux-2.6. tree (to make the
> eventual merge from Linus easier)?
>
> In this particular case, the
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/sfrench/cifs-2.6.git tree
> has a few dozen changesets that are not in its parent yet (and the
> cifs-2.6.git is at 2.6.22-rc5 level)
> (http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git) but
> mainline now has fixes which affect the same directory as the
> maintainer tree maintains.

I think you can do:

git checkout origin
git pull
git checkout master
git rebase origin

In general, people seem to keep "from-linus" branches which they never
modify. I guess they only ever pull linus into there, and then rebase
their customised branch-of-choice (master, in your case) on top of that
one in order to keep up-to-date.

Daniel

  Last update: 2007-07-19 01:17    [W:2.920 / U:0.008 seconds]