SubjectRe: Hibernation considerations
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> On Tuesday, 17 July 2007 17:29, david@lang.hm wrote:

>>> I'm afraid of one thing, though.
>>>
>>> If we create a framework without ACPI (well, ACPI needs to be enabled in the
>>> kernel anyway for other reasons, like the ability to suspend to RAM) and then
>>> it turns out that we have to add some ACPI hooks to it, that might be difficult
>>> to do cleanly.
>>
>> doing suspend-to-ram should be orthoginal to doing hibernate-to-disk. some
>> people will want both, some won't.
>>
>> at the moment kexec doesn't work with ACPI, that is a limitation that
>> should be fixed, but makeing it able to work with ACPI enabled doesn't
>> mean that it needs to be changed to depend on ACPI and it especially
>> doesn't mean that it should pick up the limitations of the existing ACPI
>> based hibernation approaches.
>>
>> if there is no ACPI on the system it should work, if ther is ACPI on the
>> system it should still work.
>>
>>> Thus, it seems reasonable to think of the ACPI handling in advance.
>>
>> but don't become dependant on ACPI.
>
> Not dependent, but with the possibility of ACPI support taken into account.
>
> Arguably you can create a framework that, for example, will not allow the user
> to adjust the size of the image, but then adding such a functionality may
> require you to change the entire design. Same thing with ACPI.
>
> I would rather avoid such pitfalls, if I could.

Ok, what is it that you think ACPI fundamentally changes in this process?

keep in mind that we are not makeing the assumption that the hardware
will remain powered (even a little bit), or the assumption that nothing
else will run on the hardware (eliminating any possibility that the
hardware is in a known ACPI state)

David Lang

  Last update: 2007-07-17 19:17    [W:0.128 / U:1.476 seconds]