SubjectRe: Containers: css_put() dilemma
On 7/17/07, Balbir Singh <balbir@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> Paul (??) Menage wrote:

> > I think that this isn't safe as it stands, without a synchronize_rcu()
> > in container_diput() prior to the kfree(). Also, it will break if
> > anyone tries to use a release agent on a hierarchy that has your
> > memory controller bound to it.
> >

> Isn't the code functionally the same as before? We still do atomic_test_and_dec()
> as before. We still set_bit() CONT_RELEASABLE, we take the container_mutex
> and check_for_release(). I am not sure I understand what changed?

Because as soon as you do the atomic_dec_and_test() on css->refcnt and
the refcnt hits zero, then theoretically someone other thread (that
already holds container_mutex) could check that the refcount is zero
and free the container structure.

Adding a synchronize_rcu in container_diput() guarantees that the
container structure won't be freed while someone may still be
accessing it.

> Could you please elaborate as to why using a release agent is broken
> when the memory controller is attached to it?

Because then it will try to take container_mutex in css_put() if it
drops the last reference to a container, which is the thing that you
said you had to avoid since you called css_put() in contexts that
couldn't sleep.

Paul

  Last update: 2007-07-17 17:53    [W:0.057 / U:0.712 seconds]