SubjectRe: block/bsg.c
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 20:58:11 -0400 Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org> wrote:

> Andrew Morton wrote:

> >> Should I convert my misc-2.6.git#gccbug repository over to this, and
> >> push upstream?
> >
> > Opinions differ (a bit) but personally I think the benefit of fixing the
> > warnings outweighs the risk that these suppressions will later hide a real
> > bug.
>
> Tooting my own horn, but, anything in #gccbug I consider to be verified
> to -not- be hiding a real bug. Human-verified not machine-verified, of
> course, so it's imperfect. But at least it's been reviewed and
> considered carefully.

Yup, but the concern (from Al, iirc) was that someone could change the code
later on, add a new bug and have that bug hidden by the unneeded
initialisation.

> I'll look into "tarting up" #gccbug for upstream... I had missed the
> introduction of uninitialized_var(), which was the genesis for this line
> of questioning.

uninitialized_var() has the advantage that it generates no code, whereas "=
0" often adds instructions. Plus of course it is self-documenting, greppable-for
and centrally alterable.

  Last update: 2007-07-17 03:13    [W:0.070 / U:0.172 seconds]