SubjectRe: Re: [ANNOUNCE][RFC] PlugSched-6.5.1 for 2.6.22
On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 10:47:51AM -0700, Li, Tong N wrote:

> > > What do you mean? A pluggable scheduler framework is indispensible
> even
> > in
> > > the presence of CFS or SD.
> >
> > Indeed, and I hope it gets merged, giving people the chance to test
> out
> > different schedulers easily, without having to do patching,
> de-patching,
> > re-patching and blah blah blah.
> >

> Yes, such a framework would be invaluable, especially given that
> scheduling often has conflicting goals and different workloads have
> different requirements. No single solution fits all.

Having a framework for giving people the choice between different
solutions usually sounds good in theory, but in practice there's the
often underestimated high price of people using a different solution
instead of reporting a problem with one solution or people adding
features to only one of the solutions resulting in different solutions
having different features and bugs instead of one solution with all
features and bug fixes.

So you should give a good technical explanation why it's not technically
possible or not desirable for one solution to work well for everyone.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed