    SubjectRe: Hibernation considerations
    On Sunday, 15 July 2007 14:58, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
    > * Rafael J. Wysocki ( wrote:
    > > (5) Hibernation should be transparent from the applications' point of view
    > >
    > > Generally, applications should not notice that hibernation took place.
    > > [Note that I don't regard all processes as applications and I think that
    > > there may be processes which need to handle the hibernation in a special
    > > way.] Ideally, for example, if some audio is being played when a
    > > hibernation starts, the audio player should be able to continue playing the
    > > same audio after the restore from the point in which it has been
    > > interrupted by the hibernation. Also, the CPU affinities and similar
    > That would be _so_ embarrassing in a library; I'd rather the audio
    > player had the opportunity to consider whether restarting was a good idea.
    > > (6) State of devices from before hibernation should be restored, if possible
    > >
    > > If possible, during a restore devices should be brought back to the same
    > > state in which they were before the corresponding hibernation. Of course
    > > in some situations it might be impossible to do that (eg. the user
    > > connected the hibernated system to a different IP subnet and then
    > > restored), but as a general rule, we should do our best to restore the
    > > state of devices, which is directly related to point (5) above.
    > Or the user unplugs their flash drive after hibernation rather than before.
    > Two things which I think would be nice to consider are:
    > 1) Encryption - I'd actually prefer if my luks device did not
    > remember the key accross a hibernation; I want to be forced to
    > reenter the phrase. However I don't know what the best thing
    > to do to partitions/applications using the luks device is.

    Encryption is possible with both the userland hibernation (aka uswsusp) and
    TuxOnIce (formerly known as suspend2). Still, I don't consider it as a "must
    have" feature for a framework to be generally useful (many users don't use it

    > 2) Some level of debugging needs to be available so that users can
    > provide something so you can see why something hasn't hibernated
    > or why (as in the case of this tosh laptop) it still takes power
    > during hibernation.

    I agree.

    "Premature optimization is the root of all evil." - Donald Knuth

      Last update: 2007-07-16 00:33    [W:0.022 / U:0.048 seconds]