    SubjectRe: [PATH 0/1] Kexec jump - v2 - the first step to kexec based hibernation
    Date
    Hi.

    On Sunday 15 July 2007 17:13:13 Huang, Ying wrote:
    > The complete changelog of the patch is as follow:
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Kexec base hibernation has some potential advantages over uswsusp and
    > TuxOnIce (suspend2). Some most obvious advantages are:
    >
    > 1. The hibernation image size can exceed half of memory size easily.
    > 2. The hibernation image can be written to and read from almost
    > anywhere, such as USB disk, NFS.

    This isn't right. TuxOnIce has no problem with image sizes exceeding half the
    amount of memory, and both uswsusp and TuxOnIce could write to a USB disk/key
    or NFS as well. Historically, the issue with writing to USB devices has been
    an issue with USB device drivers, not hibernation implementations. I haven't
    tried writing an image to USB, but with the work on the drivers, I wouldn't
    be surprised if it was usable now. NFS? Again, I haven't tried, but wouldn't
    expect it to be impossible. I did try writing an image to an NBD device a
    couple of years ago. It didn't quite work, but wasn't far away.

    Regards,

    Nigel
    --
    See http://www.tuxonice.net for Howtos, FAQs, mailing
    lists, wiki and bugzilla info.

      Last update: 2007-07-16 00:25    [W:0.033 / U:0.776 seconds]