SubjectRe: Hibernation Redesign
> No other _proper_ solutions have been proposed. Everyone who suggests removing
> the freezer also suggests implementing it all over again. It might be sending
> SIGSTOP to everything. It might be shifting the desk chairs around and
> creating a completely new kernel context, but they always have the same
> goal - stopping the existing activity, and they all come with their own
> issues (even if they're not obvious yet because the alternatives are
> currently vapourware to one extent or another).

Hey, I know precious little about drivers and power management, but I
can clarly see, that

a) stopping all tasks and requiring them to finish any syscall they
are in

b) stopping tasks _in the driver_ that are trying to access the
harware during/after suspend

are completely different solutions, the later being much more fine
grained and not having all of the mentioned problems that the former
exhibits.

> IMHO, the real solution is to go back to the original issue and fix it
> properly. Make fuse filesystems play nicely with the existing freezer. I've
> just gone back and looked at the point where you started talking
> about "malicious filesystems". You talk about fuse imposing certain ordering
> in the userspace tasks being frozen. Please, say more. What ordering issues?
> Why? How can such ordering be determined programmatically?

It can't. If you are interested, please read through that thread. If
something's still not clear, let's discuss it further.

Miklos

  Last update: 2007-07-11 14:27    [W:0.676 / U:0.248 seconds]