SubjectRe: Determine version of kernel that produced vmcore
On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 12:18:17PM +0530, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 05:58:04PM +0300, Dan Aloni wrote:
> >
>[..]
> > It contains enough information in order to make a compact kernel
> > dump (makedumpinfo needs to go over the struct page arrays). As
> > you see, it also contains the kernel version.
> >

> But this will not solve Bernhard's problem where looking at a vmcore
> he wants to know which vmlinux (kernel version with time stamp) has
> generated this vmcore. So adding a ELF NOTE should help.

That, or pass it in *runtime* by other means.

> > However, this file needs to be passed somehow to the rootfs
> > of the kdump kernel. This poses a chicken-and-egg problem on
> > my setup where the initramfs of the first kernel contains
> > a staticlu linked version of the kexec executable along with a
> > kdump kernel to be loaded before mount rootfs and running
> > init.
> >

> Why are you loading kdump kernel from first kernel's initramfs?
> I guess to enable the dump capture as soon as possible so if some
> driver panics() you can capture the dump?

Yes, that's one of the reasons.

> Can't we modify the initramfs generation process (mkinitrd) to take
> care of this situation?. By the way, how is second kernel's initramfs
> is generated currently? The moment we start packing a file which contains
> the debuginfo for first kernel, initramfs of second kernel becomes dependent
> on first kernel and to me its not a good approach.

That's not what I'm aiming for, they are actually independent (my
initramfs is a build-time constant). I have described it in another
mail.

> A dump kernel and its initrd should be independent of the crashing kernel.

I agree.

--
Dan Aloni
XIV LTD, http://www.xivstorage.com