    SubjectRe: Determine version of kernel that produced vmcore
    On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 03:28:14PM +0200, Bernhard Walle wrote:
    > Hello,
    > does anybody know a _reliable_ way to determine the version the kernel
    > that produced a vmcore file? This means not scanning for a specific
    > string or something like that which can fail on random memory.
    > Would it make sense to add a ELF PT_NOTE section in the vmcore?

    To me it makes sense to append an ELF NOTE to vmcore which can uniquely
    associate that vmcore with a particular vmlinux file (Some string
    equivalent to the output of uname -a).

    Interesting thing is that to find version of vmlinux, you will still be
    doing <string | grep "some pattern">. Probably then we should append an
    ELF note to vmlinux file also?

      Last update: 2007-07-10 08:41    [W:0.020 / U:88.568 seconds]