SubjectRe: Determine version of kernel that produced vmcore
On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 03:28:14PM +0200, Bernhard Walle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> does anybody know a _reliable_ way to determine the version the kernel
> that produced a vmcore file? This means not scanning for a specific
> string or something like that which can fail on random memory.
>
> Would it make sense to add a ELF PT_NOTE section in the vmcore?

To me it makes sense to append an ELF NOTE to vmcore which can uniquely
associate that vmcore with a particular vmlinux file (Some string
equivalent to the output of uname -a).

Interesting thing is that to find version of vmlinux, you will still be
doing <string | grep "some pattern">. Probably then we should append an
ELF note to vmlinux file also?
Thanks
Vivek

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans