SubjectRe: Determine version of kernel that produced vmcore
* Neil Horman <nhorman@redhat.com> [2007-07-10 14:12]:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 11:14:14AM +0300, Dan Aloni wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 12:18:17PM +0530, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> > > On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 05:58:04PM +0300, Dan Aloni wrote:
> > > >
> > >[..]
> > > >

> > > But this will not solve Bernhard's problem where looking at a vmcore
> > > he wants to know which vmlinux (kernel version with time stamp) has
> > > generated this vmcore. So adding a ELF NOTE should help.
> >
> > That, or pass it in *runtime* by other means.
> Wait a second, I may have been confused before. Do you want to know the
> version of the crashing kernel when you look at a core in the crash utilty, or
> do you want to know it when you are capturing the crash? If you want the
> former, then an ELF NOTE would be perfect. If you want to know the latter, my
> suggestion would be to simply modify mkdumprd to place the name of the crashing
> kernel, along with its version directly into the kdump initramfs init script.
> We can use makedumpfile or readelf to fish out the utsname and just embed it.
> Either approach is rather easy to do I think, the former would require a kernel
> modification, while the latter would require some extra scripting.

Well, mkdumprd is RedHat specific. (We use the normal mkinitrd for
this.)

Also, I don't want to rebuild the initrd of the kdump kernel just only
after changing the running kernel. That would require to rebuild the
initrd for the kdump kernel on *every* boot of a kernel that's another
version than the last booted kernel.

Thanks,
Bernhard

  Last update: 2007-07-10 15:07    [W:0.370 / U:0.012 seconds]