SubjectRe: [Intel-IOMMU 02/10] Library routine for pre-allocat pool handling
Date

> > Now there is a anon dirty limit since a few releases, but I'm not
> > fully convinced it solves the problem completely.
>
> A gut feeling or is there more?

Lots of other subsystem can allocate a lot of memory
and they usually don't cooperate and have similar dirty limit concepts.
So you could run out of usable memory anyways and then have a similar
issue.

For example a flood of network packets could always steal your
GFP_ATOMIC pools very quickly in the background (gigabit or 10gig
can transfer a lot of data very quickly)

Also iirc try_to_free_pages() is not completely fair and might fail
under extreme load for some requesters.

Not requiring memory allocation for any IO would be certainly safer.

Anyways, it's a theoretic question because you can't sleep in
there anyways unless something drastic changes in the driver interfaces.

-Andi

  Last update: 2007-06-09 12:13    [W:0.182 / U:0.120 seconds]