    On Sat, 2007-06-09 15:57:55 +1000, Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de> wrote:
    > On Saturday June 9, tarkan@netone.net.tr wrote:
    > > As we know the forthcoming GPL V3 will be not compatible with the GPL V2
    > > and Linux Kernel is GPL V2 only.
    > > So, another point is, which is previously mentioned by Linus and others,
    > > that if it is decided to upgrade the Linux Kernel's License to GPL V3,
    > > it is needed the permission of all the maintainers permission who
    > > contributed to the Linux Kernel and there are a lot of lost or dead
    > > maintainers. Which makes it impossible to get all the maintainers'
    > > permission.
    >
    > You don't need the permission of maintainers. You need the permission
    > of copyright owners. The two groups overlap, but are not the same.
    > Dead people cannot own anything, even copyright. Their estate
    > probably can. I don't think it is theoretically impossible to get
    > everyone's permission, though it may be quite close to practically
    > impossible.

    And the next question is: How much copyright does a copyright owner
    own? For example, think of drivers written by one person, but a small
    number of lines changed here and there by others to adopt the code to
    new APIs. Ask them all, I think?

    MfG, JBG

    --
    Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@lug-owl.de +49-172-7608481
    Signature of: God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of

      Last update: 2007-06-09 09:15    [W:0.020 / U:120.888 seconds]