    SubjectRe: [patch 7/8] fdmap v2 - implement sys_socket2
    > > #1: Throw the whole thing away and accept its not a good idea anyway
    > Unfortunately (exactly because of the same guarantees you're asking for
    > those handles), in order for userspace libraries to reliably internally
    > use fds to interact with the kernel, you need another kind of allocation
    > strategy.

    Unproven and dubious at best as a claim.

    > > #2: If I was really going this way and I wanted to use it for serious
    > > tricks for high performance I/O then I'd provide the handle from
    > > userspace so that the strategy for allocation is controlled by the caller
    > > who is the only one who can make the smart decisions
    > It does not work. What if the main application, library A and library B
    > wants to implement their own allocation strategy?

    Its called "discipline". I would suggest that libc contains a default
    allocator. You might also want to assign library and application ranges
    for clarity.

      Last update: 2007-06-08 23:23    [W:0.031 / U:39.428 seconds]