    SubjectRe: [patch 7/8] fdmap v2 - implement sys_socket2
    On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Alan Cox wrote:

    > On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 11:43:29 -0700
    > Ulrich Drepper <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Alan Cox wrote:
    > > > Why does he want an unpredictable algorithm
    > >
    > > To avoid exactly the kind of problem we have now in future: programs
    > > relying on specific patterns.
    > Which you seem to think is a bad thing, yet is actually a very good thing
    > because it means that crashes are repeatable and problems are debuggable
    > from end user reports.
    > Trying to randomize filehandles for the general case is not a productive
    > activity. If you want to debug cases write yourself a glibc wrapper that
    > does annoying things but don't inflict it on people who actually want to
    > build working, testable, debuggable systems (ie most of us)

    So, what do you plan to do? Those handle won't be zero-based. Your
    "working" system I immagine will do:

    bleeh[handle - BASE].duh = ...;

    How nice for a working system. If you *store* the handle returned by the
    OS, and you *use* the handle to call for OS services, you will be fine
    independently from the value handed out by the OS.

    - Davide

      Last update: 2007-06-08 21:41    [W:0.036 / U:74.100 seconds]