    SubjectRe: [patch 7/8] fdmap v2 - implement sys_socket2
    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 11:43:29 -0700
    Ulrich Drepper <> wrote:

    > Alan Cox wrote:
    > > Why does he want an unpredictable algorithm
    > To avoid exactly the kind of problem we have now in future: programs
    > relying on specific patterns.

    Which you seem to think is a bad thing, yet is actually a very good thing
    because it means that crashes are repeatable and problems are debuggable
    from end user reports.

    Trying to randomize filehandles for the general case is not a productive
    activity. If you want to debug cases write yourself a glibc wrapper that
    does annoying things but don't inflict it on people who actually want to
    build working, testable, debuggable systems (ie most of us)

      Last update: 2007-06-08 21:29    [W:0.022 / U:51.420 seconds]