SubjectRe: [patch 7/8] fdmap v2 - implement sys_socket2
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 11:43:29 -0700
Ulrich Drepper <> wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:
> > Why does he want an unpredictable algorithm
> To avoid exactly the kind of problem we have now in future: programs
> relying on specific patterns.

Which you seem to think is a bad thing, yet is actually a very good thing
because it means that crashes are repeatable and problems are debuggable
from end user reports.

Trying to randomize filehandles for the general case is not a productive
activity. If you want to debug cases write yourself a glibc wrapper that
does annoying things but don't inflict it on people who actually want to
build working, testable, debuggable systems (ie most of us)