    SubjectRe: Should "cleanpatch" clean up stretches of space?

    On Jun 8 2007 09:12, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    >Hi all,
    >Right now I have "cleanspace" and "cleanpatch" clean up spaces before
    >tabs, but it does not compress runs of spaces that aren't followed by a tab.
    >I could make it do that; I was being conservative when I wrote it and
    >opted for it not to do so, but I wanted to hear if people think it
    >should (and if so, what should a reasonable threshold be, in addition
    >for obviously crossing a tab line? Two spaces? Three? Four? Eight?)

    Exactly. Linus (see CodingStyle) thinks non-8-tabs are heretic movements,
    but well, let those people have their fun.
    People should not be forced (by means of checker scripts that are officially
    endorsed) to compress / {8}/ into a \t. In fact, people should not even
    assume a tab is 8 when writing code. Instead,

    \t while (foo) {
    \t \t bar = some_function_with_lots_of_args(par1, par2, par3,
    \t \t \x20+ par4, par5, par6);
    \t }

    \t should be used for "leading indent" only. Too bad almost noone cares.

      Last update: 2007-06-08 18:29    [W:0.020 / U:1.700 seconds]