    David Miller wrote:
    > Since the valid range of "domain" values is quite small,
    > we could avoid the new system call by cribbing some of the
    > upper bits of the 'domain' argument.
    > Valid existing programs pass in valid 'domain' values and
    > thus will not set any of the new flags.

    I can see several problems with that:

    - - experimental implementers might choose domain values which definitely
    won't collide with others

    - - the flags parameter ideally allows using the same values used for
    open's mode argument. The lowest value I can see making sense is
    O_NONBLOCK (04000).

    - - how to recognize kernels without the support? -EAFNOSUPPORT can also
    with new kernels mean it's actually the domain which is wrong

    - - there might be new flags we want to use over time

    I would strongly argue that any change we're doing in this area at
    userlevel would involve a new interface. Programs also need new
    definitions from headers files. This means a recent enough glibc will
    be needed in any case. Unless programs use their own definitions in
    which case they might as well use the syscall() function.

    - --
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (GNU/Linux)

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

      Last update: 2007-06-07 01:01    [W:0.022 / U:7.372 seconds]