    SubjectRe: 4Gb ram not showing up
    On 6/6/07, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
    > [...]
    > A better description would be:
    >
    > "Select this if you have a 32-bit processor and memory mapped in the 1GB
    > to 4GB address range."
    > [...]
    > That one would be better as:
    >
    > "Select this if you have a 32-bit processor and ram mapped in the address
    > range above 4GB."

    Ugh, no! How can we expect the user compiling a kernel to be *so*
    familiar with address space re-mapping / BIOSen (_his_ particular
    BIOS, specifically, and what / how it re-maps memory) / etc to be
    able to answer such questions? "Select ... if you have ... RAM
    installed" is perfectly clear, simple, and all that's needed.

    BTW, just imagine what a user would need to do to make things
    work as per your proposal. Build some kernel (don't care about
    memory loss), boot and find what his firmware prefers to do with
    address space (or else read up the BIOS documentation!) and
    _then_ again build a new kernel, this time selecting the options
    appropriately ...

    Also, note that the change you're proposing is unnecessary! As
    Andi pointed out, this issue has more to do with broken BIOSen
    and the proper fix for Tom is to contact his vendor and flash /
    upgrade the BIOS firmware. I don't see anything wrong with the
    Kconfig help texts.

      Last update: 2007-06-06 23:21    [W:0.023 / U:0.360 seconds]