SubjectRe: Another version of cleanfile/cleanpatch
From
On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 07:50:26PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
[]
> > Many things in XXI century still can be done by tools founded 20-30
> > years ago. Why not try to?
>
> Because your shell script is unreadable by normal human beings[*]
> while the perl script for people with a bit of perl fu can read it
> and fix/modify it.
>
> We want tools that can be maintained and enhanced by most people.
>
> [*] Normal human beings are people with same level of shell
> scripting/sed skills that I have just to put that straight.

In many cases i think, it's limiting one's imagination and expanding
laziness[0].

In the school algebra (usually) there are many exercises with
plain-useless equations and formulas you must solve or simplify.
Guess why? Thus my proposition. ;)

---
[0] Now, when most UNIX tools done with good quality (courtesy of the
GNU project), it's time not to convert programmer's laziness[1] to
ordinary one. Why there's one big and slow Bourne again shell, yet
to have fast ([d]ash) and tiny one took more time? As result more
efforts to remove bashizms...

[1] Ironically connected to Perl chapter of UNIX Power Tools
<http://unix.org.ua/orelly/unix/upt/ch37_02.htm>
____

  Last update: 2007-06-06 21:05    [W:0.304 / U:0.036 seconds]