SubjectRe: iperf: performance regression (was b44 driver problem?)
Date
On Monday 04 June 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> > Yes, the following patch makes iperf work better than ever. But are
> > other broken applications going to have same problem. Sounds like the
> > old "who runs first" fork() problems.
>
> this is the first such app and really, and even for this app: i've been
> frequently running iperf on -rt kernels for _years_ and never noticed
> how buggy its 'locking' code was, and that it would under some
> circumstances use up the whole CPU on high-res timers.

I must admit I don't know much about that topic, but there is one thing I
don't understand. Why is iperf (even if it's buggy) able to use up the whole
cpu? I didn't run it as root but as my normal user so it should have limited
rights. Shouldn't the linux scheduler distribute cpu time among all running
processes?

Maxi

  Last update: 2007-06-04 21:51    [W:0.330 / U:0.240 seconds]