    SubjectRe: Intel's response Linux/MTRR/8GB Memory Support / Why doesn't the kernel realize the BIOS has problems and re-map appropriately?
    On 6/4/07, Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com> wrote:
    > On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Ray Lee wrote:
    > > Ick. Systems that used to boot fine would then panic on a kernel
    > > upgrade. That's rather rude for a condition that's merely an
    > > optimization (using all memory), rather than one of correctness. A
    > > panic seems entirely inappropriate.
    >
    > While I am unsure of the 'best' solution, if they boot and it does not
    > panic but takes 10 minutes to boot, people are going to seriously wonder
    > what is going on?

    <goes and re-reads thread more carefully> Oh, hmm.

    I think a big fat warning with asterisks in the bootup is a good
    thing, but panicking when there's no need is never a good idea. If the
    system takes that long to boot up, I'm certain the first thing they'll
    do is to type dmesg | less to look for anomalies.

    Ray

      Last update: 2007-06-04 18:03    [W:0.043 / U:31.164 seconds]