Subjectnfsroot and locking
Hi,

I have a quick question about nfsroot in linux: Is there any way to
use nfsv3 in the nfsroot (nolock is OK there), and then mount other
directories with locking enabled ?

The default nfs options when using nfsroot are to use nfsv2 without locking.
After booting, one can mount other filesystems which will default to
nfsv3 with locking.

By passing extra options in the nfsroot parameter, one can boot with nfs3
if desired. For example v3,tcp,rsize=131072,wsize=131072,intr set the
same options in nfsroot than would otherwise be the after-boot default,
except that locking stays disabled (I understand lockd can not be started
as portmap is not running during boot).

However after starting the nfsroot with nfsv3, I am unable to mount any
other shares with locking. Passing the 'lock' option to mount will add
'lock' in /etc/mtab, but /proc/mounts will still show the share with 'nolock'
and rpcinfo shows that lockd was not started.

Is there a reason for this, or an easy workaround ?

for reference, I'm currently running debian etch with a 2.6.20.12 kernel.
Also I'd appreciate to be copied on replies as I'm not on the list.

Thanks,

--
Michel "Walken" Lespinasse
"Bill Gates is a monocle and a Persian cat away from being the villain