    SubjectRe: [RFC] automatic CC generation for patch submission
    On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 05:34:51AM +0300, Dan Aloni wrote:
    > Basically, instead of manually figuring out who to add to CC
    > when sending a patch to LKML by looking at MAINTAINERS, a
    > script can look at '.maintainers' files spread across the
    > source tree and automatically generate a proper list of CCs
    > for a patch.
    > To illustrate: If a patch affects a file under
    > drivers/net/e1000, the CC script will look at these files
    > drivers/net/e1000/.maintainers
    > drivers/net/.maintainers
    > drivers/.maintainers
    > .maintainers
    > ... to gather up the mailing list addresses or an individual
    > maintainer inbox address.
    > Any comments?

    As Auke said, maintaining the information in MAINTAINERS would be

    And another important use case that shouldn't require much extra work
    would be to do the same for bug reports.

    Generally, you should keep in mind that it must fit into the workflow of
    the people who should use it. E.g. I could imagine that it might make
    more sense if you write a small tool that takes a patch or a path and
    outputs email addresses instead of a huge tool that tries to solve too
    many problems at once and doesn't fit into the workflow of most people.

    > Dan Aloni

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2007-06-30 06:03    [W:0.022 / U:12.084 seconds]