    SubjectRe: Patch related with Fork Bombing Atack
    On Sunday 03 June 2007 19:01:21 Nix wrote:
    > On 1 Jun 2007, Jens Axboe told this:
    > > I think Anand is assuming that because syslog may coalesce identical
    > > messages into "repeated foo times" in the messages file, that it's not a
    > > dos. That is of course wrong.
    > Not all syslog daemons do that, anyway. (syslog-ng doesn't, for one.)

    That syslog-ng doesn't coalesce repeated messages into a single line doesn't
    make a difference. The printk_ratelimit stuff is supposed to make it very
    hard to DOS a system by flooding syslog, but that doesn't mean its

    The point of this discussion was that having a part of the kernel log a
    message about a fork-bomb was a very large whole that could be used to DOS a
    system by flooding the syslog. (In fact, IIRC, the printk_ratelimit (and
    somebody, please correct me if I'm wrong) stuff uses a ring buffer and
    seriously spamming syslog, like the patch that spawned this thread would have
    done, could cause you to lose potentially important messages)

      Last update: 2007-06-04 03:31    [W:0.029 / U:15.044 seconds]