    SubjectRe: Please release a stable kernel Linux 3.0
    Date
    On Thursday, 28 June 2007 23:15, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > Hi!

    > > > It never worked reliably for everyone, but with each new release it
    > > > seems to get worse.
    > >
    > > the thing is just fundamentally not designed right. Declaring it stable
    > > ain't gonna fix that. Having someone do a right design (which will
    > > obviously will go through some breakage period, even if it's an
    > > evolution of the current design) is a required step of getting s/r more
    > > reliable... but the current one doesn't get stable just by declaring it
    > > so.
    >
    > Ok, I guess one more pair of eyes would help.

    > > > I get so many suspend/resume bug reports that I've given up trying
    > > > to get them fixed. And there are so many bugs that are even worse,
    > > > like crashes during normal use, data corruption, etc. that suspend
    > > > bugs don't get much attention. But here are the ones for Fedora 6;
    > > > the list would be much longer if I included Fedora 5 and 7:
    >
    > (list of 20 bugs in redhat bugzilla).
    >
    > ...well, it looks a bit better from my side. Number of suspend bugs in
    > suse bugzilla is certainly lower, and I guess it works a bit better,
    > too. (But we do not claim s2ram support for machines outside of s2ram
    > whitelist).
    >
    > Now, perhaps redhat should get someone to work on suspend/hibernation
    > support (kernel level)? IIRC you had Nigel at one point, but he was
    > working on something else?
    >
    > Rafael and me am trying to look after hibernation, but I believe noone
    > is really working on suspend :-(.

    I've been trying to for some time, but I still need to learn more. Also, the
    issues in there are difficult to debug.

    Right now I'm collecting information and trying to help where I know what to
    do. :-)

    Greetings,
    Rafael

    --
    "Premature optimization is the root of all evil." - Donald Knuth