    SubjectRe: [linux-lvm] 2.6.22-rc4 XFS fails after hibernate/resume
    On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 08:49:24PM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > > FWIW, I'm on record stating that "sync" is not sufficient to quiesce an XFS
    > > filesystem for a suspend/resume to work safely and have argued that the only
    >
    > Hmm, so XFS writes to disk even when its threads are frozen?

    They issue async I/O before they sleep and expects
    processing to be done on I/O completion via workqueues.

    > > safe thing to do is freeze the filesystem before suspend and thaw it after
    > > resume. This is why I originally asked you to test that with the other problem
    >
    > Could you add that to the XFS threads if it is really required? They
    > do know that they are being frozen for suspend.

    We don't suspend the threads on a filesystem freeze - they continue
    run. A filesystem freeze guarantees the filesystem clean and that
    the in memory state matches what is on disk. It is not possible for
    the filesytem to issue I/O or have outstanding I/O when it is in the
    frozen state, so the state of the threads and/or workqueues does not
    matter because they will be idle.

    Cheers,

    Dave.
    --