    SubjectRe: Is it time for remove (crap) ALSA from kernel tree ?
    On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 12:18:05AM +0300, Hannu Savolainen wrote:
    > What we would like to push is that the old "deprecated" OSS/Free are
    > removed from the kernel. OSS/Free is based on about years old OSS API
    > version which was too limited for many applications. Having OSS/Free in the
    > kernel doesn't serve any purpose.

    I am slowly removing all parts of the in-kernel OSS with ALSA drivers
    for the same hardware.

    The remaining drivers can roughly be divided into two categories:
    - some ISA cards not supported by ALSA
    - some drivers for unusual hardware (read: not a PC) not supported by ALSA

    As long as we don't have ALSA drivers for them (which might in some
    cases never happen) I'd prefer to keep them for now.

    > Also we would like to stop the silly OSS vs ALSA war. OSS and ALSA are
    > rather different. Both of them have some good points and bad points. For
    > ordinary users it doesn't matter which API is used by the applications as
    > long as they work. Just the application developers can see the real
    > difference. Some of them prefer OSS while some other prefer ALSA and this
    > should be their "freedom of choice".

    I'm glad to hear this. :-)

    > Best regards,
    >
    > Hannu