    SubjectRe: Linux Kernel include files
    David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> wrote:

    > On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 01:38 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
    > > The main problems are not really hard to fix......
    > >
    > > - Most problems eem to be related to the fact that Linux does not
    > > use C-99 based types in the kernel and the related type definitions
    > > are not written in plain C. This is something that should be fixed
    > > with a source consolidation program or by defining aliases to
    > > C-99 types in case the compiler is not GCC.
    >

    > The argument has been made that the standard C99 types are _optional_,
    > and anything included from a C library's headers without _explicitly_
    > being included by the user shouldn't define those types.

    ????

    This uses double negation and is close to unreadable.

    A kernel include file that defines an interface to a user space program
    should be self containing (that means that all includes for all non-standard
    types should be done inside these include files). Whether or not C-99
    types are used or not is less important than to use type definitions written
    in clean C so compilers other than gcc may use them.

    > Personally, I think that's a load of bollocks. And it certainly doesn't
    > apply to Linux-specific files like <linux/cdrom.h>, which are perfectly
    > entitled to use a C standard from last millennium, regardless of
    > namespace 'pollution' issues. That's why we continue to use the crappy
    > __u32 types. Can you be more specific about why this is a problem? Don't
    > we mostly define those crappy types using arch-specific knowledge, as
    > 'int', 'long', etc?

    I recommend you to install Sun Studio and to try to compile star or cdrtools
    using Sun Studio by calling "make CCOM_suncc".

    ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/star/alpha/
    ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    You may need to hand edit the file incs/<arch-dir>/{xconfig.h!rules.conf}

    in order to enable the auto-disabled features.

    In any case, self reading the error messages from Sun Studio helps more than
    trying to discuss it.

    Jörg

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)