    SubjectRe: Is it time for remove (crap) ALSA from kernel tree ?
    At Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:36:23 +0200 (CEST),
    Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:

    > [1 <text/plain; ISO-8859-2 (8bit)>]
    > On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Takashi Iwai wrote:
    > [..]
    > >> Sound it in not rocket science. In 99.9% cases you need well abstracted
    > >> API which ALSA doe not provide and this is real cause why so poor sound
    > >> support in Linux applications is. Thin ALSA abstraction is main cause of
    > >> avalaibability "tons" of additional soud user space APIs.
    > >
    > > I disagree about this. Tons of various user-space APIs would be
    > > created anyway. It's the nature of FOSS developemnt.
    >
    > Please recall history of (for example) esound.
    > >From esound README:
    >
    > "Esound is an audio mixing server that allows multiple
    > applications to output sound to the same audio device."
    >
    > It was started in time when most cheap sound cards was without hw mixer.
    > And .. when today you use ALSA on sound card without hw mixer still all
    > this (past ?) problems are actual.

    Huh? I have no problems with soft mixing...

    > Look on main reasons developing arts ..
    > In documentation many other user space APIs you can find the same
    > or similar reasons. Look .. I'm talkimg about real facts. Your
    > disagreement completly ommits *reasons* spending some time on preapare
    > this soud APIs.
    >
    > ALSA still does not provides good soud devices virtualization for more
    > then one application. Each day I'm using bludy words when I'm try to use
    > skype which oppens /dev/mixer after run galeon with flash plugin which
    > opens /dev/snd/pcm* or when I start GNOME session with soud enabled
    > (handled by esd whuich uses ALSA).

    So, do you mean the soft-mixing is the biggest issue? That's just a
    part of a design issue, and if we want to go to that way, the
    impelemtation would be trivial, regardless on ALSA or not. Totally
    irrelevant argument regarding "remove ALSA".

    Takashi

      Last update: 2007-06-25 14:33    [W:0.021 / U:63.080 seconds]