SubjectRe: Is it time for remove (crap) ALSA from kernel tree ?
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Takashi Iwai wrote:
[..]
>> Sound it in not rocket science. In 99.9% cases you need well abstracted
>> API which ALSA doe not provide and this is real cause why so poor sound
>> support in Linux applications is. Thin ALSA abstraction is main cause of
>> avalaibability "tons" of additional soud user space APIs.
>
> I disagree about this. Tons of various user-space APIs would be
> created anyway. It's the nature of FOSS developemnt.

Please recall history of (for example) esound.
From esound README:

"Esound is an audio mixing server that allows multiple
applications to output sound to the same audio device."

It was started in time when most cheap sound cards was without hw mixer.
And .. when today you use ALSA on sound card without hw mixer still all
this (past ?) problems are actual.
Look on main reasons developing arts ..
In documentation many other user space APIs you can find the same
or similar reasons. Look .. I'm talkimg about real facts. Your
disagreement completly ommits *reasons* spending some time on preapare
this soud APIs.

ALSA still does not provides good soud devices virtualization for more
then one application. Each day I'm using bludy words when I'm try to use
skype which oppens /dev/mixer after run galeon with flash plugin which
opens /dev/snd/pcm* or when I start GNOME session with soud enabled
(handled by esd whuich uses ALSA).

kloczek
*Ludzie nie mają problemów, tylko sobie sami je stwarzają*
Tomasz Kłoczko, sys adm @zie.pg.gda.pl|*e-mail: kloczek@rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl*

  Last update: 2007-06-25 13:39    [W:0.231 / U:0.068 seconds]