SubjectRe: -Os versus -O2
On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 18:08 -0700, wrote:

> > on a system level, size can help performance because you have more
> > memory available for other things. It also reduces download size and
> > gives you more space on the live CD....
> >
> > if you want to make things bigger again, please do this OUTSIDE the
> > "optimize for size" option. Because that TELLS you to go for size.
> then do we need a new option 'optimize for best overall performance' that
> goes for size (and the corresponding wins there) most of the time, but is
> ignored where it makes a huge difference?

that isn't so easy. Anything which doesn't have a performance tradeoff
is in -O2 already. So every single thing in -Os costs you performance on
a micro level.

The translation to macro level depends greatly on how things are used
(you even have to factor in download times etc)... so that is a fair
question to leave up to the user... which is what there is today.

if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at)
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via

  Last update: 2007-06-25 03:21    [W:0.071 / U:4.404 seconds]