    SubjectRe: -Os versus -O2
    On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 18:08 -0700, david@lang.hm wrote:

    > > on a system level, size can help performance because you have more
    > > memory available for other things. It also reduces download size and
    > > gives you more space on the live CD....
    > >
    > > if you want to make things bigger again, please do this OUTSIDE the
    > > "optimize for size" option. Because that TELLS you to go for size.
    >
    > then do we need a new option 'optimize for best overall performance' that
    > goes for size (and the corresponding wins there) most of the time, but is
    > ignored where it makes a huge difference?

    that isn't so easy. Anything which doesn't have a performance tradeoff
    is in -O2 already. So every single thing in -Os costs you performance on
    a micro level.

    The translation to macro level depends greatly on how things are used
    (you even have to factor in download times etc)... so that is a fair
    question to leave up to the user... which is what there is today.

    --
    if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
    Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org