SubjectRe: [RFC] clocksouce implementation for powerpc
From
On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 02:06:01PM -0700, john stultz wrote:

Hi John.

> Hey Tony,
> Thanks for sending this out! I really appreciate this work, as its been
> on my todo forever, and I've just not been able to focus on it.
> Currently it seems a bit minimal of a conversion (ideally there should
> be very little time code left), but It looks like a great start!

Thanks.

> I might be missing a subtlety in the ppc code, but I'm still not sure if
> I see the need for the clocksource settimeofday hook.
>
> update_vsyscall() is intended to provide a hook that allows the generic
> time code to provide all the needed timekeeping state to the arch
> specific vsyscall implementation. It is called any time the base
> timekeeping variables are changed.

Well as I just said the Daniel, I was under the impression I needed a
hook that was only called from settimeofday(). The comments I've
recieved from everyone has given me good cause to re-evaluate.

I think I can make it work without the hook, that started this
discussion. Thomas, I think it's probably best to axe it now. If I
/really/ need it then I'll start the discussion again :) Thanks.

> I think it would be enlightening to flatten this out a bit. Putting both
> the timer_recalc_offset and clocksource_settime code in the same
> function. It might illustrate where some optimizations could be done and
> where it might make more sense to split things up.
>
> Also I'd leave timer_check_rtc() in the timer_interrupt for now (later
> moving it to tglx's generic rtc update).

Yes you're rigth I don't need to move the timer_check_rtc() call.

Yours Tony

linux.conf.au http://linux.conf.au/ || http://lca2008.linux.org.au/
Jan 28 - Feb 02 2008 The Australian Linux Technical Conference!

  Last update: 2007-06-22 08:33    [W:0.165 / U:0.308 seconds]