    SubjectRe: Kconfig troubles when using menuconfig - Was: [patch]Re: [linux-usb-devel] linux-2.6.22-rc5-gf1518a0 build #300 failed in zc0301_core.c
    Hi Roman,

    On 6/23/07, Roman Zippel <zippel@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Jun 2007, Satyam Sharma wrote:
    >
    > > > menuconfig is really a type of config symbol, rather than a type of menu.
    > >
    > > Well, I'd have to disagree here. A config symbol has code associated
    > > with it (at least _all_ config symbols in the kernel originally did, till
    > > when these "menuconfig" things got introduced, which is precisely
    > > what made them "special").
    >
    > Only because it's currently used mostly like this, it doesn't add any
    > "special" meaning.

    But this will always be true (not just currently):

    1. Kconfig symbols will always have code associated with them.
    That's the entire purpose of Kconfig, is it not?

    2. "menuconfig" symbols, otoh, were _invented_ for another reason
    entirely: presentation and user interface i.e. so that users are able
    to disable entire menus (and all the options contained therein)
    without having to enter into the menu first, and without having to
    disable all options individually (which was the situation that existed
    before the introduction of these menuconfig objects).

    The fact that these menuconfig objects are similar to "config symbols"
    is only because of the way they got implemented, and has nothing to
    do with their original purpose or the problem they try to solve.

    Satyam

      Last update: 2007-06-23 00:37    [W:6.281 / U:0.364 seconds]