    SubjectRe: Kconfig troubles when using menuconfig - Was: [patch]Re: [linux-usb-devel] linux-2.6.22-rc5-gf1518a0 build #300 failed in zc0301_core.c
    Hi,

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

    > V4L_USB_DRIVERS=y turns USB into =y? That can't be. It should give the "this
    > depends on another symbol [USB] that is modular".

    That's not how it works, the enclosed symbols depend now on
    V4L_USB_DRIVERS, which is a boolean and it can only have two states.
    It doesn't matter on what V4L_USB_DRIVERS depends only the final value
    matters.
    (BTW if check the dependency debug output in menuconfig/xconfig, you'll
    see which values are relevant in the calculation of a symbol value.)

    > >I'm also a little irritated by the "default y", if I enable V4L I'm very
    > >tempted to check what other useless stuff has been automatically enabled,
    > >which I have to turn off again.
    >
    > The default y only applies to the "menu" folders, not actual code.

    I don't know that without checking the Makefile.

    > There have been discussions to remove the default-ys again, I've sent a patch
    > [http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/5/12/216], but nothing happened.
    >
    > So, should all affected menuconfigs be transformed into tristates, what
    > do you think, Roman? Let me know so I can cook up a patch (hopefully
    > before 2.6.22) should they become tristate.

    Using bool is clearly a bug and I'd prefer if it removed the defaults as
    well.

    bye, Roman

      Last update: 2007-06-22 18:27    [W:0.021 / U:61.404 seconds]