    SubjectRe: Kconfig troubles when using menuconfig - Was: [patch]Re: [linux-usb-devel] linux-2.6.22-rc5-gf1518a0 build #300 failed in zc0301_core.c

    On Jun 22 2007 16:27, Roman Zippel wrote:
    >> In this specific case, all V4L USB drivers depends on V4L_USB_DRIVERS,
    >> that depends, in turn, on USB. So, if USB is not selected,
    >> V4L_USB_DRIVERS should be unselected, unselecting zc0301.
    >> Unfortunately, the Kernel building system is not properly handling it.
    >> This is the (snipped) media/video/Kconfig:
    >> menuconfig V4L_USB_DRIVERS
    >> bool "V4L USB devices"
    >> depends on USB
    >> default y
    >The menuconfig patches were a little aggressive here, it created a config
    >symbol where there was none before and in this case it even changed
    >dependencies (it turns USB into a bool).

    V4L_USB_DRIVERS=y turns USB into =y? That can't be. It should give the "this
    depends on another symbol [USB] that is modular".

    >I'm also a little irritated by the "default y", if I enable V4L I'm very
    >tempted to check what other useless stuff has been automatically enabled,
    >which I have to turn off again.

    The default y only applies to the "menu" folders, not actual code.
    There have been discussions to remove the default-ys again, I've sent a patch
    [], but nothing happened.

    So, should all affected menuconfigs be transformed into tristates, what
    do you think, Roman? Let me know so I can cook up a patch (hopefully
    before 2.6.22) should they become tristate.

      Last update: 2007-06-22 17:21    [W:0.022 / U:0.292 seconds]