    SubjectRe: Linux Kernel include files
    On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 11:38:47AM +0800, David Woodhouse wrote:
    > On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 01:38 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
    > > The main problems are not really hard to fix......
    > >
    > > - Most problems eem to be related to the fact that Linux does not
    > > use C-99 based types in the kernel and the related type definitions
    > > are not written in plain C. This is something that should be fixed
    > > with a source consolidation program or by defining aliases to
    > > C-99 types in case the compiler is not GCC.
    > The argument has been made that the standard C99 types are _optional_,
    > and anything included from a C library's headers without _explicitly_
    > being included by the user shouldn't define those types.
    > Personally, I think that's a load of bollocks. And it certainly doesn't
    > apply to Linux-specific files like <linux/cdrom.h>, which are perfectly
    > entitled to use a C standard from last millennium, regardless of
    > namespace 'pollution' issues. That's why we continue to use the crappy
    > __u32 types. Can you be more specific about why this is a problem? Don't
    > we mostly define those crappy types using arch-specific knowledge, as
    > 'int', 'long', etc?

    It would certainly help if Joerg would tell what exactly breaks, but I
    spot one likely problem in include/asm-i386/types.h:

    #if defined(__GNUC__) && !defined(__STRICT_ANSI__)
    typedef __signed__ long long __s64;
    typedef unsigned long long __u64;

    It might make sense to remove the #if and simply require that
    a C compiler under Linux must know about the C99 "long long"?

    > dwmw2

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2007-06-22 17:03    [W:0.022 / U:66.496 seconds]