    On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 22:30 -0700, wrote:

    > asking a device that's running software that you haven't verified to give
    > you a checksum of itself isn't going to work becouse the software can just
    > lie to you.

    I don't think there is any way I _could_ make a device if it had to be
    tamper proof and use free software if that was the case.

    I'd need to make some kind of proprietary network connection back to my
    company that used its own network device. I could not trust it if the
    free kernel could touch it, if I wanted to allow a modified in place

    If I hope for that device to use the internet to talk to me (i.e. just a
    secondary nic), I'd have to write my own kernel to power this second
    network device that was capable of encrypting and validating traffic
    over tcp-ip. Or I have to pull my own copper to every location where my
    device is used.

    So either way, I'm writing my own kernel if I want to do that, because I
    could not POSSIBLY allow the kernel talking to my private connection to
    the device to be modified.

    What a nasty, vicious cycle that would be. Yikes!

      Last update: 2007-06-21 12:21    [W:0.028 / U:2.932 seconds]