SubjectRe: Adding subroot information to /proc/mounts, or obtaining that through other means
On 21 Jun 2007, Miklos Szeredi said:
> I'm working on this actually. See this (and related patches) in -mm:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.22-rc4/2.6.22-rc4-mm2/broken-out/unprivileged-mounts-add-user-mounts-to-the-kernel.patch
>
> This solves the "user=" thing, but is not a generic solution for other
> options. And I'm wondering if there is really a need for that.

I'm not sure there is, actually...

> Which quota options are you thinking about? Some quota options
> (e.g. for ext*) seem to be already present in /proc/mounts.

... last I checked, usrquota and grpquota weren't being propagated in,
but that's changed sometime in the last, um, wow, has it been two
years already? Perhaps I should have checked again before babbling
nonsense to an audience of thousands, sorry!

> Do you know any other options which are only in /etc/mtab, and need to
> be stored along with each mount?

None presently, but in general it seems strange to have to modify the
kernel in order to be able to reliably associate some new key/value pair
with a mount point, let alone to have to do it on a filesystem-by-
filesystem basis...

--
`... in the sense that dragons logically follow evolution so they would
be able to wield metal.' --- Kenneth Eng's colourless green ideas sleep