    SubjectRe: [linux-lvm] 2.6.22-rc5 XFS fails after hibernate/resume
    been away, back now...

    Tejun Heo wrote:
    > David Greaves wrote:
    >> Tejun Heo wrote:
    >>> How reproducible is the problem? Does the problem go away or occur more
    >>> often if you change the drive you write the memory image to?
    >> I don't think there should be activity on the sda drive during resume
    >> itself.
    >>
    >> [I broke my / md mirror and am using some of that for swap/resume for now]
    >>
    >> I did change the swap/resume device to sdd2 (different controller,
    >> onboard sata_via) and there was no EH during resume. The system seemed
    >> OK, wrote a few Gb of video and did a kernel compile.
    >> I repeated this test, no EH during resume, no problems.
    >> I even ran xfs_fsr, the defragment utility, to stress the fs.
    >>
    >> I retain this configuration and try again tonight but it looks like
    >> there _may_ be a link between EH during resume and my problems...
    Having retained this new configuration for a couple of days now I haven't had
    any problems.
    This is good but not really ideal since / isn't mirrored anymore :(

    >> Of course, I don't understand why it *should* EH during resume, it
    >> doesn't during boot or normal operation...
    >
    > EH occurs during boot, suspend and resume all the time. It just runs in
    > quiet mode to avoid disturbing the users too much. In your case, EH is
    > kicking in due to actual exception conditions so it's being verbose to
    > give clue about what's going on.
    I was trying to say that I don't actually see any errors being handled in normal
    operation.
    I'm not sure if you are saying that these PHY RDY events are normally handled
    quietly (which would explain it).

    > It's really weird tho. The PHY RDY status changed events are coming
    > from the device which is NOT used while resuming
    yes - but the erroring device which is not being used is on the same controller
    as the device with the in-use resume partition.

    > and it's before any
    > actual PM events are triggered. Your kernel just boots, swsusp realizes
    > it's resuming and tries to read memory image from the swap device.
    yes

    > While reading, the disk controller raises consecutive PHY readiness
    > changed interrupts. EH recovers them alright but the end result seems
    > to indicate that the loaded image is corrupt.
    Yes, that's consistent with what I'm seeing.

    When I move the swap/resume partition to a different controller (ie when I broke
    the / mirror and used the freed space) the problem seems to go away.

    I am seeing messages in dmesg though:
    ATA: abnormal status 0xD0 on port 0xf881e0c7
    ATA: abnormal status 0xD0 on port 0xf881e0c7
    ATA: abnormal status 0xD0 on port 0xf881e0c7
    ATA: abnormal status 0xD0 on port 0xf881e0c7
    ATA: abnormal status 0xD0 on port 0xf881e0c7
    ata1.00: configured for UDMA/100
    ata2.00: revalidation failed (errno=-2)
    ata2: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
    sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 390721968 512-byte hardware sectors (200050 MB)

    sd 0:0:0:0: resuming
    sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Starting disk
    ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0x00019807
    ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0x00019007
    ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0x00019007
    ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0x00019807

    ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)
    ATA: abnormal status 0xD0 on port 0xf881e0c7
    ATA: abnormal status 0xD0 on port 0xf881e0c7
    ATA: abnormal status 0xD0 on port 0xf881e0c7
    ATA: abnormal status 0xD0 on port 0xf881e0c7
    ATA: abnormal status 0xD0 on port 0xf881e0c7
    ata1.00: configured for UDMA/100
    ata2.00: revalidation failed (errno=-2)
    ata2: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs

    > So, there's no device suspend/resume code involved at all. The kernel
    > just booted and is trying to read data from the drive. Please try with
    > only the first drive attached and see what happens.
    That's kinda hard; swap and root are on different drives...

    Does it help that although the errors above appear, the system seems OK when I
    just use the other controller?

    I have to be cautious what I do with this machine as it's the wife's active
    desktop box <grin>.

    David

      Last update: 2007-06-21 20:09    [W:4.230 / U:0.032 seconds]