    SubjectRe: Change in default vm_dirty_ratio
    Dave Jones wrote:
    > On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 04:47:11PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    >
    > > Frankly, I find it very depressing that the kernel defaults matter. These
    > > things are trivially tunable and you'd think that after all these years,
    > > distro initscripts would be establishing the settings, based upon expected
    > > workload, amount of memory, number and bandwidth of attached devices, etc.
    >
    > "This is hard, lets make it someone else's problem" shouldn't ever be the
    > answer, especially if the end result is that we become even more
    > dependant on bits of userspace running before the system becomes useful.
    >
    > > Heck, there should even be userspace daemons which observe ongoing system
    > > behaviour and which adaptively tune these things to the most appropriate
    > > level.
    > >
    > > But nope, nothing.
    >
    > See the 'libtune' crack that people have been trying to get distros to
    > adopt for a long time.
    > If we need some form of adaptive behaviour, the kernel needs to be
    > doing this monitoring/adapting, not some userspace daemon that may
    > not get scheduled before its too late.

    I'm wondering whether AKT I proposed a couple of months ago wouldn't be
    more appropriate (provided that we find the perfect heuristics to tune
    the dirty_ratio ;-) )
    see thread http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/1/16/16

    Regards,
    Nadia

      Last update: 2007-06-21 14:35    [W:0.023 / U:30.356 seconds]