    On Jun 20, 2007, lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) wrote:

    > On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 06:12:57PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
    >> Aah, good question. Here's what the draft says about this:
    >>
    >> Mere interaction with a user through a computer network, with no
    >> transfer of a copy, is not conveying.
    >>
    >> The requirements as to "installation information" apply to conveying
    >> the program along with a user product.

    > So if I go use a computer running some GPL software, and I copy the
    > contents of /bin to a CD and bring it home, does the owner of the
    > machine now owe me a copy of the GPL sources?

    According to one of the rationales of GPLv3, it is understood that
    lending someone a computer for a short period of time does not amount
    to conveying the software in it. I assume this is backed by strong
    legal reasoning I won't pretend to know or understand. IANAL.

    FSF Latin America Board Member http://www.fsfla.org/