david@lang.hm writes:

> this is very much NOT true. if you take the source the provide you can
> compile a kernel that will run on the tivo, the only thing you have to
> do (on some models) is to change the bios to skip the step that checks
> if the kernel has been tampered with.

If we are opining whether Tivo provided complete source code for their
Linux kernel images, the requirement to change non-GPLed software as a
condition to exercise GPL-protected rights speaks for itself.

Out of curiosity, what do you have to do on models besides those? Are
newer models more or less restrictive in what they run? If newer
models are more restrictive, I think that also speaks to whether Tivo
thinks it is conveying complete source code.

Michael Poole

  Last update: 2007-06-20 21:29    [W:1.007 / U:0.004 seconds]