    On Jun 19, 2007, david@lang.hm wrote:

    > based on my experiance looking at the software released for tivos, I
    > think you are over-estimating these numbers. if there are more then a
    > dozen people producing things that are good enough to be useful and
    > releasing their results as opensource software I would be surprised.

    Yup.

    And how many more would there be should it not be tivoized? More
    hackers would buy the devices, a number of them with the explicit
    intent and interest in modifying the software in it.

    You're losing all that.

    > and for all that the FSF is claiming that tivos can't being modified
    > it's really not that hard to change.

    But is it legal?

    How many would contribute changes to a list where there are TiVo
    people watching, which might expose these contributors to liabilities?

    FSF Latin America Board Member http://www.fsfla.org/