SubjectRe: limits on raid
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 02:56:10PM -0700, david@lang.hm wrote:
>> yes, I'm useing promise drive shelves, I have them configured to export
>> the 15 drives as 15 LUNs on a single ID.
>>
>> I'm going to be useing this as a huge circular buffer that will just be
>> overwritten eventually 99% of the time, but once in a while I will need to
>
> I would guess that if you ran 15 drives per channel on 3 different
> channels, you would resync in 1/3 the time. Well unless you end up
> saturating the PCI bus instead.
>
> hardware raid of course has an advantage there in that it doesn't have
> to go across the bus to do the work (although if you put 45 drives on
> one scsi channel on hardware raid, it will still be limited).

I fully realize that the channel will be the bottleneck, I just didn't
understand what /proc/mdstat was telling me. I thought that it was telling
me that the resync was processing 5M/sec, not that it was writing 5M/sec
on each of the two parity locations.

David Lang

  Last update: 2007-06-19 22:55    [W:0.210 / U:0.200 seconds]