SubjectRe: [BUG] ide dma_timer_expiry, then hard lockup
Date

Hi,

On Tuesday 19 June 2007, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 08:10:25PM +0400, Sergei Shtylyov wrote:
> >
> > >I'm thinking that trying to debug libata is a better idea, rather than
> > >investing time in ide, right? Although at the moment, libata works even
> > >less; see other email.
> >
> > Which makes me think this really is some *hardware* issue.

Linas, have you checked that there are no firmware updates available
for this drive?

> There are two distinct issues.
> -- libata locks up in partition table read on an hpt366+old maxtor disk
> that has ben working fine for many years with old ide driver. (It
> still works fine when I boot to the alternate ide-based kernel).
>
> -- ide driver locks up on hpt366+new maxtor disk under heavy
> i/o load. I was able to copy 60GB from old to new disk without a
> problem; however, raid reconstruction locks it up, maybe after 5-15
> seconds.
>
> This probably is "hardware related"; its something that the new
> hard drive does. Given that its being sold at a big discount, it
> may even be that the sellers know that this is a crappy disk. :-)
>
> All I want is some way of resetting the disk, and continuing on.

It would be useful to see hdparm --Istdout output for *both* disks.

> I'm stalled in debugging; I'm not sue what I'm looking for.

Sergei, do you think that testing the drive with DMA disabled may
tell us something new?

Thanks,
Bart

  Last update: 2007-06-19 20:31    [W:0.104 / U:0.316 seconds]