On Jun 19, 2007, Daniel Drake <dsd@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I realise that the latest GPLv3 draft would not pose restrictions
> here, as such devices would not be classified as consumer
> products.

And even if they were, there's always ROM.

I don't know whether hardware seals that state "once you break this
seal, law prohibits the use of this device with human patients".

Then the restriction is not being imposed by the manufacturer, only by
law, and this does make lot of a difference as far as software freedom
is concerned.

But then, law might not find this to be enough. Software patents are
not the only stupid law that harms Free Software :-(

FSF Latin America Board Member http://www.fsfla.org/